If you are looking for more ways to incorporate grass-fed meat into your diet, try cooking a Hearty Winter Stew using Stewing Beef from NIKU Farms. Using grass-fed stewing beef, potatoes, carrots and a warming broth this stew is easy to make, delicious, and perfect for those snowy, cold evenings. Check out all the packages that Stewing Beef available.
Hearty Winter Beef Stew with Grass Fed Beef
A hearty stew filled with carrots, potatoes, celery, mushrooms and grass-fed beef. Perfect for those cold winter evenings.
Ingredients For the Spiced Cashews:
- 2 lbs grass-fed stewing beef
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp tapioca flour
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 L broth of choice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 celery stalks, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 4 large carrots cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb baby potatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups halved button mushrooms
- Fresh parsley for serving
- Preheat the Oven to 325 F
- Take 2 lbs of stewing beef and pat dry. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a dutch oven heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Brown the meat in batches, being sure not to crowd the pan. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan after each batch.
- Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and balsamic vinegar to the pot and stir with a wooden spoon, lifting away the brown bits at the bottom of the pan, for five minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add the meat back into the pot and sprinkle with the tapioca flour. Stir until the tapioca flour is dissolved.
- Add the wine, beef broth, bay leaf, dried thyme and rosemary. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Put the lid on the pot and place in the preheated oven. Braise for 1 hour.
- After an hour mix in the carrots, potatoes, and celery. Place the lid back on and put the dutch oven back in the oven for another hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Brown the mushrooms until their juices are released (about 10 minutes) Drain off any extra liquid and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms into the stew for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- When the vegetables are fork tender, remove the bay leaf and rosemary stalk.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve with fresh parsley.
Check out all the packages that include Stewing beef.